Monday, November 10, 2014

Best week

Hello!

Chloe! Dang 22! You’re gonna be old!

I had a good week. Multiple appointments failed, and I walked at least 15 miles as a result but it was a good week nonetheless. Right now we are working with one investigator, whom I am really hopeful for and attended church again this week. She is awesome, and it’s great to see progress in someone here. We are working with others as well but they are not really progressing and acting on our invitations. It is a little ironic that as soon as I get use to and enjoy the work here with Elder Contreras, he has to leave. 

Our investigator is Elizabeth, and she is super cool. Her story is that we were walking around on P Day a couple weeks ago and a lady stopped us and said, “Hey I’m a member.” Then, we set up an appointment with her and when we went we met Elizabeth, Flor´s daughter. She is great.

I just want to thank you again for the packages, and specifically you mom for the letter. It was an awesome letter. What a powerful question at the end to ask, Art thou greater than He? And I believe you that the trails in life have a purpose and that is to give us experience. Awesome.

I want to talk about a talk by Lawrence E. Corbridge called “The Fourth Missionary.” I got it when I entered the mission, but I’ve been really studying it the past few weeks. It talks about 4 different types missionaries you can be. The first one doesn't work and isn’t worthy, and goes home. The second is disobedient but finishes his mission. But I want to talk about the Fourth type of missionary, and you need to read this talk to understand me. But in summary, "The third is a faithful laborer in Christ’s work. The fourth missionary is a disciple of Christ." 

Anyways right now I’m somewhere in between the 3rd and fourth—or better the I’m the 3rd missionary trying to be the 4th missionary. He paraphrases CS lewis and in the Lord’s words he says, ”I want you. All of you.... Hand it all over to me." He also says that "the third missionary gives up doing those things, but the fourth missionary gives them up in his heart as well.” 

In truth, I don't know how to do that. He says earlier in the talk that I am "... The sum total of what I have thought said seen heard and done." Which means I am the result of everything I’ve left at home: family, friends, sports, and that I should but I don’t know how to just "put them in a box on shelf in my closet at home" and forget about the things that have made me who I am. In short I "count the cost" as Corbridge says, but I'm trying not to and trying to be the 4th missionary. The quote I liked the most is, "You cant be happy if you don't want to do the things that lead to happiness even if you do those very things.” Meaning going on a mission doesn't make you happy; you have to want it. I agree that the only intelligent thing to do is to serve as the 4th missionary, but it’s hard. I am slowly changing, I think, and as I have prayed for more love and more pure desires and to be more like Christ, I have had the best week of my mission. Anyway, read the talk; it’s awesome!

Love you all so much,

Elder Walker