Monday, March 21, 2016

I Love My Family


Dear Family,


I LOVE YOU! That’s all I basically want to say today. 
 
Yes, I got the package you sent me, and thanks to Mom, Chloe, and Grandma for helping with that! My companion was also super grateful. I remember when I got my first package in Cerro de Pasco I didn't share hardly anything with my trainer. I’m kind of embarrassed about that. Now, half of it is for my comp and thanks because I would have done that anyways especially with Elder Yeh, and I’ve given away more of it to members and friends here. It is always nice to get something from home, but now I like the reading and sharing what you send more. Interesting how that has changed. 
 
Well, if I learned one thing from what you sent its that it would be about humility and submissiveness. I’ve always thought that those attributes have been some of my strengths before the mission, but now I think they are some of my weaknesses. I liked Elder Maxwell’s talk, which was more like reading a scripture manual with all of the scriptures. Holy cow! But it was such a good talk. Talking of the story of Shadrach, Meshack, and Abednego, He said that the heart of submissiveness lies in three words, "But if not.” In Daniel we read, 

 17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us,from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the  golden image which thou hast set up.

Submissiveness isn’t passive, it’s active. It’s doing everything in our power, but accepting the higher power of the Almighty God. Its saying, "Remove this cup from me if possible but if not I will drink". It’s recognizing that God will make more of us than we can make of ourselves. I thought it was funny when Maxwell said that Peter could have been the president of the local Galilean fishermen’s association, but he was humble enough to drop his nets and follow Christ immediately.  Submitting ourselves to God’s will is real emancipation. That is a difficult concept to understand. 

So I’m gonna keep working on that. Thanks for the message about the Atonement. I will study that this week. We are already in week 5! Last week of this transfer.  

Love you have a great week! Dad, I want you to have a great week, and I hope all goes well with work this week. Love you!

Elder Walker

PS. My shoes ran out faster than my time on the mission. :( Still have one more pair though.