Monday, April 13, 2015

Good News and Bad News

The good news is the Church is true, and that I’m in La Merced again for p-day. The bad news is we got robbed (we weren’t in the apartment, so don’t worry.) 

So the took my 500 soles of pasaje (money to travel) and my comps money, our DVD player, my comp’s camera, and all of his USBs. It is bizarre because they left my camera (thank goodness) and my wallet. We think it most have been someone who knows us, but we aren’t certain. But yeah there is a first for everything and that was the first time getting robbed, and it was cool but I don’t need to do it again. It sucked too because we had a perfect day until we got to our apartment and the door was wide open and our things were scattered everywhere. Mom, really don’t worry, because  like president told me, this is one of the safest missions and that is why that are so many hermanas. 

Ohh yeah, we had interviews with president this week on Friday. Thursday night we got robbed and after the interviews in La Merced we did divisions with the Zone Leaders until Saturday morning. Talking with president is always great. He asked me what I was working on and the normal missionary stuff but near the end of the interview I had to ask about Duke, and if they won because President Henderson went to Duke Univ. and I knew he is a Duke fan. Long story short we started talking about college basketball, and he told me Duke won. He also started telling a bunch of videos of b ball I need to watch when I get home, and I was like yeah okay in a year and a half Ill watch them. But it was good. 

Divisions in La Merced were good. It felt so great to see loved ones and friends after 2 weeks of not seeing them. I can’t imagine how it will be after two years. Haha.  But I was with Elder Cayo my ZL, and he is a good friend. He was with me in Cerro as well. 

And now I’m in La Merced again for P Day. All is well. How is Marcus? What happened with transfers? 

Short story. On Thursday before the robbery, we had a service project with some less active members, and we were going to clean up their jungle of a front yard. However, when we got there in the morning with about 6 other members, it started to rain super hard. When it rains here a lot of the times it will rain hard for about 10 min. then it stops. So we went inside to wait for the rain to stop, and naturally as missionaries we started to teach Simon and his family. We talked about faith and how it is a belief in something not seen but true and how it is a principle of action. We focused and how faith is action because they have stopped going to church. We also focused on the things that you can do with faith and with God, which is everything.

We finished the lesson and we talked and everyone wanted to move the service project to another day because there wasn’t blue in the sky, but my comp and I said no we have faith that the rain will pass. We waited for about 10 more minutes then decided if we really had faith we wouldn’t just wait for the rain to stop, but we’d start working. So we got to work in the rain and within 10 min. the rain stopped. It was awesome you could call it a luck, but for me it was a testimony builder. Prayer is powerful. Also, I learned that machetes are super useful in yard work! Haha. 

We had a baptism this week. His name is Carlos. He is a great guy. His sister is on the mission and we are also working with his family, but his parents need to get married, and we are in that process. But he was ready and he gave a sweet testimony about wanting to follow his sister’s example and serve a mission. 

Hope you all have a great week.

Love,

Elder Walker