Monday, June 8, 2015

Missionary Life

Hi,

I’m on for a sec! Crazy that you guys are almost done with the house! It sounds like a complete remodel. Send me some pics when you can! I had a great week but thought a little bit about home and was reflecting on graduating a year ago. It is wild that a year has already passed by and that summer has officially begun. It is also super exciting to hear about Jason going through the temple and Sam getting his mission call. Sam to the Philippines, how crazy is that!

My comp got a little sick from something we ate, I think because I felt sick too, but it hit him harder. I am pretty sure it was when we made tacos with Elder Angel the Mexicano for a FME. We did last Monday night. We are fine now though. This week we have been working hard finding new investigators and teaching a lot. We have quite a few investigators now but it’s hard when they commit to do things and then don’t do it. Ahh, the life of a missionary! We are teaching one guy named Mario who is a less active and we have finished all of the lessons with him and to be "rescued" he just has to go to church one more time, but he didn't go. He has been going, but it is just frustrating some times. We have Arianna´s baptism this week and will rescue her mom as well, and next week we have another baptism scheduled but we are gonna have to change it because of the Trujillo temple dedication is that week and we won’t have church here in Villa Rica at all. 

One of the hardest things as a missionary like Marc said is judging your success. Before in school or in sports you have measurements. You have grades and are graded on everything. It is simple and you are right our you are wrong and if you are right more than wrong you get a good grade, and you know that you succeeded. In sports there is a winner and a looser, however, on the mission there is none of that. There is a part in PMG that I love in chapter one that talks about your success as a missionary. It says your success is largely determined by your ability to love the people and be obedient to all of the missionary rules. Actually there is more that I can’t remember but even then it is so hard to judge your personal success. The temptation is to compare yourself to others or other missionaries or to be able to teach the best or to be the next assistant or to get the most baptisms and lessons taught. 

I believe success is found in the lives you come in contact with and in your life personally and how you change and grow. I always remember the quote by J R Holland when he said that you better have at least one convert on your mission and that is yourself. I have learned to expect my best on my mission and to know that that is all I can do. Interesting article in the LV paper. I like it. 

Hey so there is a couple here in Villa Rica, who are having problems. The husband is a recent convert, and in the past he wasn't the best of characters. He drank and went to parties and once was unfaithful even. They stayed together through because of their kids and eventually got married. Then, he had a real change of heart and got baptized. They continue to have problems though and now Rosemary doesn't like how controlling and self righteous he has become. Long story short she moved out of the house and is living with her mom now. We talk with husband a lot and he is a great guy who want to go the temple with his family but now his wife just wants some space. She doesn't want to give up, but she doesn't have the best of friends. AHHHHHH! It is such high school drama, but I have no idea what to tell him. I am just a kid. We have already talk to the bishop, but I would just like some advice. Maybe there is a good conference talk on marriage or something on lds.org. 

I’ve been trying to change the way I teach Elder Grandstaff Spanish. He is a visual and kinesthetic learner, and I am trying to teach according to that. I am an auditory learner, and when I first got to Peru I just listened and talked with everyone and eventually things became clear and I learned Spanish, but he has to see it, then say it, then do it to be able to understand. He is smart, but we just learn differently so I have had to look outside the box for me. We have labeled everything in our apartment with post it notes. We’ve made posters and things. He is learning a lot, but right now I am focusing on pronunciation. Any other suggestiones? 

Time is up. I love you lots.

Elder Walker

PS. Will you please send me a recipe for chocolate chip cookies?